Wednesday, September 24, 2014

9/24/14

Hello,
     This has been a very busy week.  The week of transfers is always hectic.  Thursday-we had a meeting for all the new sisters and their trainers.  Then we took all the new sisters to Walmart so they could go grocery shopping.  It was quite funny Sister Sonku didn't really know what to buy or what things she even liked because she was looking for all the brands they have in South Africa, but I told her she was not going to find that here! :) 
      Friday- We covered the Humanitarian Center today while the sisters had training.  I have been teaching a couple people that work there, so I take every opportunity to go back.  Larry was SOOO happy to see me. Holy cow!  I also had NO idea that Peter, my adopted little brother, (who went on his mission last week), his mom works there too.  She was so sweet and came up to me and remembered me. We had a little bit of down time while we were there so I read a talk by Sheri Dew.  It was about who we are as children of God and the potential that we have.  It is exciting to me to think if I truly understood how the Lord felt about me, my life might be very different.  The Lord has immeasurable and unconditional love for his children.  He sees who we really are and the people that we can become.  This is something that I have seen a little glimpse of.  As I have taught many different kinds of people, I have been able to see them maybe kind of the way He would. It has completely changed the way that I look at people.  I remember before my mission having a lot more pre-judgments about people; but now I know that to God, all of his children are equal; and  I have a duty to help any and all that I come in contact with. 
     And my companion is soooo funny, and the celebrity of our mission because she is the ONLY African here!  I’m glad that she has a sense of humor.  She is very very sarcastic and she likes to lie about her life in Africa.  Everyone assumes that South Africa is like the stereotypical Africa that we think of, lions, tigers, living in huts, children everywhere, etc.... so she pretends it is.  She tells people she lives in a bush with a stone as her pillow, that she has to go to the bathroom in a bush, that they get water from the river and everything like that.  Well, it’s completely false!  She lives in a very well developed area and it is very Americanized.  No one has ever been there so she tells them and they all believe her!  She is already my new best friend, and when we are finished planning, all we do is talk and laugh.  She is so awesome and I am so blessed to be with her.   
     Sunday-  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! I love you. Today we had the wonderful opportunity to attend the Ogden Temple Dedication.  I loved the talks that were given.  Elder Hallstrom talked about covenants and he said, " Being a covenant keeper is the only way to fulfill our eternal purpose." I loved that, and it made me understand that the covenants we make in the temple are essential.  Sister Oscarson talked about how when  a temple is dedicated it is a time for us to dedicate ourselves to His work.  I think that is so powerful.  We need to be dedicated to the work of the Lord especially in performing those ordinances for the dead.  It is a wonderful opportunity for us to give that chance to those people who have already passed on, to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and to be sealed to their families for time and all eternity.  President Eyring talked about how there are people on the other side standing and shouting for joy as you perform those ordinances for them.  I agree completely. He also said, "It is only in the temple that we are leading the dead out of spirit prison; “you are opening the prison door so that they can have eternal life."  I love temples.  I am so grateful for the ordinances that I have been able to participate in for myself and also for other people. And I am so blessed to be serving on Temple Square where I can walk on dedicated ground every second of my mission.  
     Oh and we have some exciting things coming up this weekend; we have a 10 year old girl and 8 year old boy getting baptized, Kelly and Jeduh!  As well as Nelly and Jesse too!  I am so excited.  I love them all so much.  Pray for them that everything will work out. They are so prepared and love the gospel so much!  It has been so fun to teach them all, and they each have such a strong desire to follow the Savior. They have allowed the Spirit to teach and testify the truth to them, and I have been able to be a tool to help in their conversion.....so cool.  It is incredible to see the difference  when the investigator allows the Spirit to touch their lives and when they don't.  I am so grateful that the Spirit is the teacher and testifier of all truth.  He is the reason that people join the church.  I love being an instrument in the hand of God.  Missionary work is life changing.  I love it!

The church is true.

Sister Mindy Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment