Thursday, August 22, 2013

8/22/13-Elder Holland

Hello family!!!
     This week has been filled with so many things!!  At church on Sunday, President got up and said that we had to go over “General Authority Protocol” and so he described what the procedures are and said that a general authority would be coming to speak to us on Tuesday morning.   Then everyone was dead silent and he waited a VERY long time........then he said,  “He is actually a 12 apostle........and his name is....Jeffrey R. Holland!!”  Every sister seriously gasped and screamed in the middle of Sacrament meeting!!!  So, Tuesday morning everyone woke up super early so we would be extra early to the room, and we got to hear from Elder Holland.  I was expecting a very serious, and stern talk, but it wasn't as bold as his talks usually are.  He talked mainly about missionary work and how we should embrace every moment of our mission and enjoy it!  Something I loved that he said was,  "Don't you ever ever ever ever ever underestimate the gift that you can give to someone.  This part in your life (referring to the mission), will NEVER come again........so embrace it, do not miss it.  Love every single minute of it because it will NEVER come again.  You are NEVER supposed to be the same after this mission."  I love how much he stresses the mission.  He talked about how we need to guarantee that there will be “1 true devoted convert”, and it should be US.  He said everything that we want our investigators to do: “Come closer to Christ, read more from the Book of Mormon, and to pray more to our Heavenly Father.”  It’s EXACTLY what God wants US to do too!  The talk was very powerful.  We had a little question and answer afterwards and a question that he spent a lot of time on was something that a sister asked, "How do we forgive ourselves?"  (Elder Holland is in charge of restoring temple blessings to those who have been excommunicated or have been on probation or in prison and things like that.)  He said that he has to interview each person.  He said as a normal member, “forgiving others is way easier than forgiving ourselves.”  He said EVERY time he will ask the person 2 questions:  1) Have you forgiven everyone that was involved in the situation?  Usually the answer is “ Yes.”   2)  Have you forgiven yourself?  He said often times they say, “I am still trying to forgive myself.”  He said he always has the same answer.  "You HAVE to forgive yourself, because if you don't, you are denying the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  He has forgiven you, he has paid the price for you, and YOU are getting in the way.  If you do not forgive yourself, you are saying,  I CHOOSE to block the Son of the Living God who lived his whole life to die for me.  I choose to be in the way."  This hit me very hard.  The Atonement of Jesus Christ is one of the greatest gifts we could ever have.  We need to accept it and be able to use it in our lives.  I am so grateful and have even chosen a scripture to dedicate my mission to.  I found this scripture right before my mission and I love it.  It is 1 Nephi 21:16 and it talks about how Christ has engraven us upon his palms and his feet and we are continually before Him.  This means a lot to me.  I have gained a very strong testimony of my Savior. Because Christ has physical evidence of the pain that he went through for me; he can NEVER forget me. He is ALWAYS there for me and he is the one that I can always turn to.  I need to be the one to accept him and to always remember him and to let him always be a part of my life.  

      WOW.......long paragraph about Elder Holland!  Anyway it was very very cool!!  
    Then today we had Relief Society and Sister Rose from the General Relief Society Board came!  She talked about how important Relief Society is and how our missions can help us be a better member of Relief Society when we go home.  She shared a quote from Elder Anderson that I really liked. He said, "Your sacred duty is to return to heaven safely and bring MANY with you."  And that is EXACTLY what we are trying to do on missions as well!  Our mission is so privileged to have so many wonderful speakers come and talk to us!!
     Anyway, on a lighter note...(Don't worry it was my p-day, so I wasn't really part of it) Temple Square was closed for a couple hours today due to a chemical spill in the building!  Everyone had to evacuate and the street was blocked off and there were bout 12 ambulances there. All the sisters had to be tested to make sure they didn't inhale the chemical, but a couple of sisters actually went to the hospital!  There were cameras everywhere and there was Security everywhere, even a helicopter!  Everyone is OK and the Square is open again, but it was intense!  Me and Sis. Lotoa were at home, but we went down to the Square to check out the scene! :) 
     The mission is Awesome!!  I love it so much!  I am so happy that I am here.  I pray that my mission will change me spiritually for the rest of my life.  I want my mission to mean everything to me, just like when Elder Holland talks about how his mission meant everything to him.  I love this gospel and I know how much it can bless us as we follow it.  I love all of you and I hope that everyone has a wonderful week!!   
     LOVE YOU Mom and Dad!!


The church is true. 

Love, 
Sister Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment