Monday, January 20, 2014

1/13/14

Hello all, 
Well, Mindy arrived in Iowa last Wednesday and within a day I was notified that she was freezing and needed a much warmer coat......yikes!!

(And to think she thought Salt Lake City was cold:)
Anyway, she is happy despite the weather, and loving her new mission call.  Oh, and her mission president’s wife, Sister Jensen is Grandpa Marsh’s first cousin!  Pretty cool to have another “connection” with her President and once again it’s through Grampa Marsh:)
And if any of you have a few spare minutes; her address is at the bottom of her letter.
I know she appreciates all your love and support,
Karen



Hello Family!
     Where do I even begin; this week has been INSANE!!!  First off, Tuesday night was crazy.........we were all packing and moving our stuff everywhere, saying good bye to the sisters going outbound, saying good bye to the sisters leaving to go home, and we of course, were up all night.  Then I had to wake up at 4:30 to get ready and to be out of the apartments by 6:00 am!  When I woke up it was snowing and I thought  I might get stuck in Minneapolis, or not make it all the way to Des Moines; but it was good and I made it safely.  We sat around for a little bit when we got to Des Moines and then the AP's came and took us to see President.  The first thing we did was go to the mission office really quick to send something, then the AP's said, “So, we are going to meet President in Iowa City”.  I was thinking that it was like 15 minutes away.......but they are like, “So, it will take 2 1/2 hours to get there! I was like “WHAT?” That is the most driving I have done my WHOLE mission!  So, after we finally arrived in Iowa City we went to dinner with President and his wife and he told us what area we would be going to.  Then our companions came and picked us up.  Sister Hancock went to Quincy, another 2 hours away, and I am in Cedar Rapids, about an hour away.  So, lets just say we drove a LOT!
     Well,  so, we live in a family's home.  The couple has 4 kids and the youngest is on his mission so we live in their home.  They are the Gutierrez family and they are AWESOME!  Brother G is the ward mission leader so we work with him a lot and it’s very convenient that we live in his home. 
    So, I got all settled in that night and tried to organize all my stuff the best I could and then went straight to bed.

    Thursday we had Zone Training Meeting and I got to meet my whole zone.  Everyone is super nice and fun to be with.  My district is made up of 2 elders, 4 sisters and 1 senior couple.  After the 3 hours of training the whole zone went to Olive Garden and ate........so yummy!
    Friday was interesting.  We had a couple appointments for that night, but that day we had “freezing” rain.....you are thinking, “OK, that means snow”.......WRONG!  So, apparently the rain in the atmosphere is warmer than on the ground, and sometimes  it will rain and the second that it hits the ground it turns into a sheet of ice!  So we were grounded from our cars.  It is like black ice istantly-----it is crazy!  But it was also a bummer because we had to cancel those appointments.
     Sunday was fun!  Church for 3 hours was so long.  I haven't had 3 hours of church since I left for my mission, and that was really weird but I love being in a home ward.
     Anyway, that is pretty much what happened this whole week.  And my companion is awesome!! She has been out for 4 1/2 months and is from Spanish Fork.  She is 22 and she is so fun; I love her! I got lucky once again.
    Well, I am sure I will have much more to talk about next week;  Iowa is good even though it’s so different; but I am liking it a lot....except the fact that it is sooo dang cold here.  Thank goodness we have a car!!



Love you all!  Thank you for everything!



My new address is :
3455 Crown Ave
Marion, IA 52302



The church is true.
Sister Mindy Marsh




No comments:

Post a Comment